Can I get restraining order in New Jersey?

In the state of New Jersey, domestic violence is taken very seriously in order to prevent it from occurring in homes across the state. The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991 was made to combat the problem of domestic violence in the state. By acquiring a restraining order, this can help to guarantee the safety of you and your family from an abuser. A temporary restraining order can limit the proximity and contact one can have with another party. This can allow you to get the distance you need from the violent party while you focus on other aspects of your life.

How do I get a restraining order against someone?

The state rarely denies granting temporary restraining orders due to their need. The court can quickly hear the case and then they can decide if the temporary restraining order should become permanent. A restraining order can be granted due to the following reasons: assault, harassment, terroristic threats or mental abuse. With these circumstances, it is important to seek the relief you need from an abuser. Your safety comes first. A temporary restraining order can help provide you with comfort knowing that they cannot come within a certain distance of you. During these times, emotional turmoil can be overwhelming due to abuse that individuals were faced with whether it was mental or physical. As professional attorneys, we are here to protect your legal rights during this emotional time and prepare you for any next steps. This can be especially helpful when you are in an emotional state and unaware of your next move.

Can I press criminal charges against them?

A restraining order can grant civil relief for victims of an abuser that is within their home. However, if you wish to seek criminal charges against your abuser, in addition to this restraining order, your abuser may be held accountable for the criminal activity that they have participated in. It is important to seek legal help when dealing with these circumstances. You may be able to file a criminal complaint where you reside, where the party resides, or where the specific incident of abuse occurred.

If you have been charged with a crime in New Jersey, it is essential to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your situation.

Read Our
Latest Blogs

View More Blogs
What Happens if I Receive a DWI in Another State?

If you were arrested for a DWI outside of New Jersey state lines, the legal process can get quite confusing. Regardless, the…

Read More
What are the Penalties for Public Intoxication in New Jersey?

Public intoxication is frowned upon in the state of New Jersey, as it may lead you to engage in prohibited conduct that…

Read More
What if I Received a DWI this Labor Day Weekend?

Labor Day weekend is usually commemorated with barbeques or otherwise large gatherings with alcohol likely present. With this, this is a weekend…

Read More

Contact The Law Office of
Michael A. Policastro

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.