New Jersey takes driving under the influence of alcohol very seriously. Those who are convicted of a DWI often face strong penalties that can have a long-lasting impact on the individual’s life. As a result, it is essential to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney that can look for defenses on behalf of the accused. Some of the possible defenses that an attorney can explore when assessing one’s case include the following:
- Whether the law enforcement officer conducted an illegal stop. If so, any evidence that was gathered during the traffic stop can be inadmissible
- Whether the law enforcement officer observed the individual for at least 20 minutes prior to conducting the chemical breath test
- Whether the field sobriety tests were administered properly. Some of the defenses specifically for field sobriety tests include:
- That the arresting officer failed to read the individual all of the instructions for the test
- That the arresting officer failed to demonstrate the test
- That the arresting officer failed to inform the individual that they are allowed to remove their high heels for the test, if applicable
- That the individual has health issues that make it impossible to past the test
If you have been charged with a DWI in New Jersey, contact our firm today.
If you have been charged with a crime in New Jersey, it is essential to retain the quality legal services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your situation.