What legal action can I take against domestic violence?

When a family is in trouble due to one member’s behavior, there are steps individuals can take to prevent themselves from their abuser. The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991 was made to address the problem of violence within the home.

What is the purpose of a restraining order?

A restraining order is one method that can help to guarantee your safety by limiting your contact with an abuser. A temporary restraining order can limit the proximity and contact an individual can have with another party. With this in effect, individuals can feel safe knowing that they cannot be within the reach of their abuser. They can focus on getting their family back on track and carrying on with their everyday life.

A restraining order can grant civil relief for victims. If you want to seek criminal charges for your abuser, they may be held accountable for their actions. You may be able to file a criminal complaint where you reside, where the party resides, or where the incident occurred. A temporary restraining order can only be lifted by a court.

How can I get a restraining order?

Due to the nature of a restraining order, the state rarely denies granting them. In order to get the order granted, the court can quickly hear the case to approve it. There is also an option to make the restraining order permanent. Individuals may file for a restraining order due to the following reasons: assault, harassment, terroristic threats or mental abuse. Under these circumstances, it is important to seek the relief you need from an abuser. Your safety is a priority and so is the safety of your family. A temporary restraining order can help provide you with comfort knowing that the abuser cannot come within a certain distance of you. Individuals can still be in harm’s way if they are being abused emotionally or psychologically not just through physical abuse.

During these times, emotional turmoil can be overwhelming due to the abuse that individuals were faced with. As professional attorneys, we are here to protect your legal rights during this emotional time. We understand the stress you are faced with and want to provide some relief. We encourage our clients to seek the help of health care professionals to ensure their health. If the abuse is physical, it is best to consult a doctor to understand if there are any effects of the harm. If the abuse is more emotional or psychological, the aid of a therapist can prove to be helpful for individuals to understand the situation they are in.

If you have been charged with a crime in New Jersey, it is essential to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your situation.

Read Our
Latest Blogs

View More Blogs
Can I fight drug trafficking charges in New Jersey?

In the state of New Jersey, drug trafficking is one of the most serious criminal offenses you can be charged with. Essentially…

Read More
Does New Jersey offer hardship or conditional driver’s license to those convicted of DWI?

When you operate a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08%, you are violating New Jersey's traffic laws and will…

Read More
What are the factors that determine the severity of a felony conviction in New Jersey?

In New Jersey, depending on the particular crime you commit, there is a range of appropriate penalties that the law finds equivalent…

Read More

Contact The Law Office of
Michael A. Policastro

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.