What Should I Do if I Am Falsely Accused of a Crime?

A criminal record has far-reaching, life-altering consequences, such as problems with keeping gainful employment, obtaining housing, and getting loans. This situation is only worse if your criminal record is unnecessarily due to you being falsely accused of a crime. If you find yourself being falsely charged with a crime that you did not commit, read on to learn how one of the seasoned Middlesex County criminal defense attorneys at the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro can help you take immediate action to protect yourself.

What should I do immediately after being falsely accused of a crime?

Even though you may be innocent, you cannot assume that the police, prosecutor, judge, or jury will see your case that way. This is why, first and foremost, you must hire a competent Middlesex County criminal defense attorney so that you can better understand what your legal rights are and how to properly proceed. With this, your attorney will assess your case and guide you in the right direction, which may be one of the following paths:

  • Intervene before charges: your attorney may want to take proactive measures that could result in never being charged with a crime. For example, your attorney may be able to discuss your case with the police or prosecutor and provide information that convinces them that they have the wrong person.
  • Take no action: your attorney may want to do nothing and see if the prosecutor even develops the necessary evidence to charge you with the crime. For example, before any charges are filed against you, a witness can recant their testimony or test results can support your innocence.
  • Investigate: if you are formally charged with a crime, your attorney may want to conduct a thorough investigation of the crime to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecutor’s case and your defense. For example, your attorney may assess the prosecutor’s evidence, interview witnesses, and retain expert witnesses if necessary.
  • Set up a plea bargain: your attorney may want you to enter into a plea agreement with the prosecutor so that you can receive a lesser charge instead of risking a conviction, harsher sentence, or permanent criminal record.

What other steps should I take after being falsely accused of a crime?

While your attorney is building a strategy, your responsibility is to gather any physical evidence and documents that may point to your innocence. Such proof may include the following:

  • Clothing.
  • Photographs.
  • Correspondence.
  • Emails.
  • Receipts.
  • GPS data.

Additionally, you should aid your attorney in collecting witness contact information. Such witnesses should be able to provide helpful information about you, the incident, and the accusations against you.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

No matter your circumstances, if you are facing criminal charges, contact the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro today for the experienced legal counsel you deserve and need.

Read Our
Latest Blogs

View More Blogs
What Happens if I Receive a DWI in Another State?

If you were arrested for a DWI outside of New Jersey state lines, the legal process can get quite confusing. Regardless, the…

Read More
What are the Penalties for Public Intoxication in New Jersey?

Public intoxication is frowned upon in the state of New Jersey, as it may lead you to engage in prohibited conduct that…

Read More
What if I Received a DWI this Labor Day Weekend?

Labor Day weekend is usually commemorated with barbeques or otherwise large gatherings with alcohol likely present. With this, this is a weekend…

Read More

Contact The Law Office of
Michael A. Policastro

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.