Halloween is one of the most widely-anticipated holidays of the year. As you know, many people celebrate Halloween by attending costume parties. Of course, drinking is very often a part of these parties, which is fine, as long as you do not drive. However, if you made the mistake of driving while under the influence this Halloween and you received a DWI, you must continue reading and speak with our New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about the consequences of DWIs in New Jersey and how our firm can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the penalties for a first-offense DWI in New Jersey?
If you are caught driving under the influence of alcohol in New Jersey, you will most likely face the following penalties, even if it is only your first offense:
- A 30-day license suspension
- You may have to pay a $500 fine
- You will have to install the ignition interlock device in your vehicle for between 3 and 6 months, at your own cost
- You may have to spend up to 48 hours at the New Jersey IDRC
- You may go to jail for up to 30 days
What happens if I am arrested with a BAC over .10% in New Jersey?
As you know. if you are arrested with a BAC of .08%, you will receive a DWI. However, if your BAC is even higher, or between .10%-.15%, you will receive what is known as a high BAC DWI, which comes with even more severe charges. Those charges are as follows:
- You will most likely lose your license for up to 45 days
- You may spend up to 30 days in jail
- You will most likely have to pay a fine between $250-$500
- You will have to spend between 12-48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- You will have to install and use the ignition interlock device for between 6 months and 1 year, at your own cost
What happens if I get a DWI under the age of 21 in New Jersey?
New Jersey has a very strict policy when it comes to underage DWIs. If you are someone who was caught driving with even a .01% BAC, you will still face a DWI charge. These charges will oftentimes bring about the following consequences:
- Between 15-30 days of community service
- A license suspension of up to 90 days
- Mandatory participation in the IDRC
- Additional fines and fees
No matter the circumstances of your DWI, our firm is here to help. All you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
When someone is charged with a crime, they have a lot to consider. However, we understand that everyone makes mistakes, which is why we are here to help. No matter your circumstances, if you are facing criminal charges, contact the Law Offices of Michael A. Policastro today for the experienced legal counsel you deserve and need.