How can I deal with domestic violence?

Situations involving domestic violence are serious. When an abuser is living in a household with their victims, they can cause serious damage. This damage can be physical or mental in nature. With these situations, victims should seek help immediately. They need to get the abuser out of their home so they are considered to be safe. Whether the abuser is affecting the whole family or one individual, it can be best to get them out of the house with legal action. In the state of New Jersey, domestic violence can be taken seriously with legal action. The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991 was made to combat situations involving domestic violence. By obtaining a restraining order, it can help to guarantee the safety of you and your family from a possible abuser. This can give you the space that you need to heal. A temporary restraining order can limit the proximity and contact one can have with another party. You will be able to carry on with your life and feel safer while doing so.

How do I acquire a restraining order?

For domestic violence cases, these situations can get serious really quickly. It is best to seek action as quickly as possible before anything terrible happens that is irreversible. When these situations are brought to the state, they rarely deny granting someone with a temporary restraining order. The court can quickly hear the case and then they can decide if the temporary restraining order should become permanent. A restraining order can be granted due to assault, harassment, terroristic threats or mental abuse. With these circumstances, it is important to seek the relief you need from an abuser because your safety should always come first. A temporary restraining order can help provide you with comfort knowing that they cannot come within a certain distance of you.

Although a restraining order is not a criminal charge, it can grant civil relief for victims. However, there are ways to seek criminal charges against an abuser for domestic violence. If you wish to seek criminal charges for your abuser, you can do so. You may be able to file a criminal complaint where you reside, where the party resides, or where the incident occurred.

If you have been charged with a crime in New Jersey, it is essential to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact the Law Office of Michael A. Policastro today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your situation.