Halloween weekend is one of the few weekends a year that marks a largely heightened risk of drunk driving incidents. If you are charged with a DWI over the Halloween weekend, it is important that you retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Continue reading to learn the potential penalties you may face after being charged with a DWI in New Jersey.
What are the penalties for a first-offense DWI in New Jersey?
Drivers will face the following penalties if they are caught drinking and driving in New Jersey, even if this is their first offense:
- A 30-day license suspension
- You may have to pay a $500 fine
- You will have to install the ignition interlock device in your vehicle for between 3 and 6 months, at your own cost
- You may have to spend up to 48 hours at the New Jersey IDRC
- You may go to jail for up to 30 days
What happens if I am arrested with a BAC over .10% in New Jersey?
If you are arrested with a blood alcohol content of .08%, you will receive a DWI. If your BAC is higher or between .10% and .15%, you will receive a high BAC DWI. High BAC DWIs come with more severe charges and consequences including the following:
- You will most likely lose your license for up to 45 days
- You may spend up to 30 days in jail
- You will most likely have to pay a fine between $250-$500
- You will have to spend between 12-48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- You will have to install and use the ignition interlock device for between 6 months and 1 year, at your own cost
What happens if I get a DWI under the age of 21 in New Jersey?
When it comes to underage DWIs, New Jersey has a very strict policy. When a driver is caught operating a vehicle with even a .01% BAC, they will face a DWI charge and the following potential penalties:
- Between 15-30 days of community service
- A license suspension of up to 90 days
- Mandatory participation in the IDRC
- Additional fines and fees
If you are facing DWI charges this Halloween weekend, it is important that you retain the services of a skilled criminal defense attorney who has experience handling DWI charges such as yours. To learn more about our services and how we can assist you, pick up the phone and give us a call today. We are prepared to fight for your rights in court.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
When someone is charged with a crime, they have a lot to consider. However, we understand that everyone makes mistakes, which is why we are here to help. No matter your circumstances, if you are facing criminal charges, contact the Law Offices of Michael A. Policastro today for the experienced legal counsel you deserve and need.